Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Housewarming Gift Inspired by an Anthropologie Dishtowel

A couple of months ago, I posted on my blog about my friend Lisa's apartment suffering massive water damage.  Now, she and her daughter Sophie are  in the process of unpacking and getting settled in the  new home she purchased.  My family is very happy for them and wanted to celebrate by giving Lisa a housewarming gift from one her favorite stores...Anthropologie.

Lisa had mentioned her plans for her kitchen and I just remembered black and white while I shopped at Anthropolgie.  When I saw this "Sweetest Thing" dishtowel at the store, I immediately knew this was perfect for Lisa.  Why?  The cupcake!  Lisa is my cupcake friend, she loves cupcakes as does her daughter, my daughter and me.  When we go out on a girls days out, one of our stops is usually a cupcake store. 



 The creative side of me wanted to make a special "box" for this gift.  I found a paper mache house I've had a while (don't recall when or where I purchased it) but it just seemed like the perfect "box" to place the dishtowel in.  Recently, I have discovered how much I like working with mix-media so naturally this project took that direction.  Using scraps from this project, I created this card to go with the gift:
 I loved working with all these papers from numerous paper companies.  I basically chose the color palette to match the dishtowel.  Using decoupage medium, paint, numerous punches, bling, rub-ons, glitter, paper, chipboard windows/doors from Maya Road I went to work.  Actually, I just played because this was not work at all...it was just fun!  I even added a border of cupcakes to the bottom of the house.  Lisa referred to it as a cupcake picket fence!  Somehow butterflies always manage to get in my work, I suppose that is just my signature item now. 






 


                                            I added the tiara bling just for Sophie!

Lisa loved her gift and we loved giving her this gift. She and Sophie are dear to our family.  We are thankful for their friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment