Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rain at Spring Horseshoe Market

 The end of the school year is always a challenge.  So many events at school like field day, field trip to downtown Denver, and the traditional 3rd Grade Sock hop involving my son Alex. Outside of school, my son Alex is now playing Soccer and has had various Cub Scout events.  My daughter Laura was involved in Relay for Life, Tennis Team Banquet and lots of extra hours of studying for her class finals.

Laura's need to study for her AP Biology exam prevented her from helping me at Horseshoe Market a few weeks ago.  Thankfully, my booth at Horseshoe Market was next to my friend Amy from the Pink Attic Cat .  On the other side was Charlotte from Charlotte's Rustic Rose.  They were both a great help to me. Tracy helped Amy and whenever I needed a quick break Tracy helped me with my booth.  I met wonderfully creative people at the show.  It was a successful show and when a light drizzle rain came and went in the afternoon, I thought the weather would no longer be a problem.  The show ended at 4:00 p.m. and the work of packing up started.

Thankfully, I always start by packing up my inventory into plastic containers with lids.  The sky became very dark  yet, somehow I did not think it would rain (denial perhaps?).  I continued packing somehow thinking I would get it all in the truck before any rain would come or if it did, it would just be a few sprinkles.  Although I only had my inventory packed and all the tables, racks & tent were still not packed, I decided to get the truck and park it next to the booth.  Many vendors were already gone by then.  As soon as I was driving the truck to my booth space, it hit.  A storm with a downpour of rain and wind.  Thankfully, the tent still had all the weights so it stayed in place but everything was soaked!

Amy and her family were just about done packing her truck and I had not even started.  Amy was so sweet, she offered me help but I told her not to worry.  It was just water.  I knew I was a long way from going home so it was not necessary to further delay anyone else.  Charlotte also offered me help but again, I did not want to delay her either. 

I just accepted it was water and reminded myself that my inventory was protected and dry inside the plastic containers.  Eventually the rain ceased and the sun even came out.  By the time the sun came back, I was almost done packing wet plastic containers, tables, soaked tablecloths and very wet canopy/tent into the truck.   Although I was exhausted, I decided to take most of my inventory containers back to the Checkered Corner so I would have more room at home to spread out the tables, racks, and even canopy to dry.

Originally, I was going to met some friends for a birthday dinner (Alex's school friends mom's) after the show but I called to explain I (along with everything in my truck) was soaking wet and sadly, would miss the dinner.

When I got home, I was truly exhausted but thankfully my family got busy and helped me unload what was left in the truck.  David opened up everything to dry and even started washing the tablecloths.  I went to bed before 9:00 p.m.  That never happens! I was in bed even before my 9 year old son!

Despite everything, it really was a good day.  I got to spend it with friends, met great people, received offers for help and my family helped me at the end of a very long day.  I really missed having my daughter Laura at the show but her studies come first.

Isa Creations at Spring Horseshoe Market, May 11, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment