Thursday, April 18, 2013

More Vintage Chenille Pillows & Painted Birdhouses at Checkered Corner's A Splash of Spring

I found 2 vintage chenille bedspreads during a recent visit to Warrenton, TX.  One is a bright pink (a beautiful floral design) and another is a blue and white with a great design.  Last week, Anita from Checkered Corner gave me a wonderful gift...a pink chenille bedspread.

Recently, I used  fabric dyes for the first time.  This is a new tool for me.  This has opened so many possibilities I never imagined before!

I learned a few things during the process of using fabric dyes. One of them was the reverse....using hot water with bleach (blended into the water) then adding the dyed fabric to lighten the color.  Since this month's theme at Checkered Corner is A Splash of Spring, I experimented with the bright pink Chenille bedspread Anita gave me.  I wanted to lighten the pink.  I cut the bedspread in half, kept half in it's original color and lighted the other half. I was happy with the results.


I only created 2 pillows.  I will be using the rest of the light pink Chenille for Nook/iPad lined zippered bags (with girls or houses as see in previous post, here and here).  I look forward to creating new lined zippered bags using this Vintage Chenille material.

I love the blue and white design of this Vintage Chenille:

I only created 3 pillows.  I plan to use some of this Blue and White Chenille to create more Nook/i-Pad lined zippered bags.




I found these 2 Cabin Craft  twin Chenille bedspreads at an estate sale a few months ago .  I used fabric dye(for the first time) to transform white Chenille into several spring several colors...

Light Lilac and a darker Lavender Pillows, along with a light Teal color


Painting these birdhouses was similar to using fabric dyes.  I think it's just the concept of giving something a new or different look .  Adding or changing colors of fabric or metal/wood  is a new tool I plan to continue to use in my future creations.

Finds from Warrenton, TX 




All these items will be available at

will be open
April 19, 20, 21
5650 South Curtice Street
Historic Downtown Littleton

Friday & Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 12 to 4

Many great items can be found at Checkered Corner.  Visit Checkered Corner's blog for more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment